A family Owned and Operated Business Since 1899, Serving the Midcoast
Click on the images below for full-sized viewing
June 29th, 1899 - Pearl Glover Willey and his brother in-laws purchased the assets of Jay & BC Adams and formed Bird Brothers & Willey. The Coal and Wood business had been operated by the Adams brothers at the dock on 24 Bay View Street in Camden since 1861.
1912 - The operation became P.G. Willey & Company, a sole proprietorship serving the fuels business building supply industries.
A Century Of Growth
1930's and 40's - Nerita Willey Wight (daughter of Pearl Glover Willey and mother of Willard Wight) manages company for parents. Pearl Glover Willey dies in 1949. Willard goes to work for grandmother (Caroline Thorndike Willey) full time. 1946 saw the purchase of the first oil truck.
1961 - Willard T. Wight & wife Janet purchase P.G. Willey & Company from grandmother, Caroline Thorndike Willey.
1980’s - John Wight (son) & Howard Holmes (son in law) came on board
1995 - Willard T. Wight announces John Wight President, Howard Holmes Executive Vice President, Janet Wight Treasurer
1998 - 30,000 gallon tank farm installed at Limerock road facility in Camden
"One of the reasons for our long life in business, in addition to providing good service to our customers, is keeping up with the times." ~ Willard Wight
The next generation of Wights' & Holmes' are cutting their teeth by getting involved with the business early. With the energy industry rapidly evolving due to availability and environmental reasons, there are certain to be many opportunities and challenges awaiting them. With a strong history of customer service and a community of satisfied customers, a 5th generation of the family business looks promising